There are certain and obvious reasons for ant control Brisbane. If you suspect that the ants are nesting somewhere inside your home, you really need to find the nest and get rid of it. If you see ants all year round foraging in your kitchen, it is likely they are living inside. Ants will nest by burrowing into wood. The nest may be inside a wall or in an attic. If you can find the nest, it is likely that you will have to use a chemical pesticide to get rid of it. More importantly, ants can cause significant damage to the structure of your home so an ant infestation should never be overlooked.
Carpenter ants, for example, nest in your home and tunnel and nest inside wood structures. Ants that look for food in your home can contaminate this food, and can even inflict painful bites and stings which in allergic individuals may experience a severe reaction.
Follow these tips to control these ants:
- Follow ants to discover their point of entry in your house. Ants may enter through window and door jams, cracks in the floor, or even moulding crevices.
- Boric acid or laundry detergent can create a temporary barrier to prevent ants from entering at these points. You can even sprinkle baby powder as a safer alternative for pets and children.
- You should make every effort to seal these entry points for the cockroach control Brisbane. Caulk windows and cracks, apply weather stripping to doors and windows, and cover holes with duct tape.
- Check your cupboard for food ants may have been eating and throw it away; these foods may be contaminated.
- Store food in secure containers or in your refrigerator to prevent ants from accessing food sources. Exposed food and garbage will attract ants.
- Regularly clean all cupboards to remove remnants of sugar, honey, maple syrup, grains, cereals, cookies, jams, and bread as these are favourite food sources for ants.
- Wash floors and surfaces where you have discovered an ant line with warm water and soap. This helps prevent the ants’ return. By thoroughly cleaning their path even with bleach and water you can make it impossible for them to retrace their path and also do pest control.
Lemon peels are a great deterrent for ants as they do not like the smell. Place a slice of lemon peel in your sugar bowl for ant control Brisbane. In fact, you can use orange or lemon peels around doorways or drop them into ant holes and this will help to deter ants.